Monday, June 4, 2012

Torch songs and sympathy

It's actually embarrassing to me how crappy I have felt this week as a result of the flame-out of a really brief (and, inevitably, doomed) affair.  It would seem that several years spent in monk-like isolation can have a deleterious effect on one's self-possession when suddenly confronted with any level of romantic interest, no matter how transitory or ephemeral.

What I mean to say is that I need to re-learn how to handle my shit in dating.  Sigh.

Very fortunately, a friend recommended to me Regina Spektor's new album.  It's kind of spooky that Spektor has not one but two songs on this album that kind of wrecked me: one pure torch song, and one loving slap upside the head to a friend who has been listening to too many torch songs.  Many thanks to Ms. Spektor, should she be bored enough to read this blog.



3 comments:

  1. Regina Spektor's second album, "Begin to Hope," did me right through the interminably long summer after the end of a long-term relationship.

    Even more astonishingly, I still love that album (and all of Spektor's work). It's a good 'un that doesn't get tainted by whatever circumstances originally made you put the thing on repeat for three straight months.

    Which is to say, sympathies. But also: I approve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Regina Spector. I recommend her duet with Ben Folds on his album "Way to Normal." It's called "You Don't Know Me." That album got me through a very dark time last year. The song "Cologne" is hauntingly good.

    Anyway, better times are coming. Comfort, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sweetie. I've been listening non-stop to the Ballad of a POlitician. Its almost driving me crazy, but I can't get enough of that song.

    Music is gooood!!!!!

    ReplyDelete