Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Beckettesque moment, plus chametz

Subtitled, "I can't do this anymore.  I did it some more."

Out of habit more than hope, I checked the Big Giant Pseudology Association's job board, and saw a newly advertised position at a fancy name-brand school.  Most of my job-hunting energy these days is oriented toward non-academic work of various kinds, so I just don't have the strength to deal with the one-year VAP bullshit anymore.  But this job is multi-year, and is in a nice place, so...

My point is that I dashed off an entire application for it in approximately ten minutes.  And then went back to other, more promising stuff.

In other news, I am deeply relieved that Passover is over, because I ran out of potato vodka on the last night, I'm TIRED of matzo,* and I could make myself breakfast tacos this morning.  I am also happy to be drinking lovely wine this evening, although that has nothing to do here or there with Passover.  Because, you know, wine.

* Did you know that Blogger considers 'matzo' the standard spelling?  I tried typing 'matzah,' and it complained of a spelling error.  Apparently, if Blogger were Jewish, it would be Orthodox.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with this application! See you Saturday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, either way. A multi-year VAP can be a good thing. I have a friend in classics right now doing one at an awesome school in a most awesome city, and he is happy.

    Does that mean that Wordpress would be Reform? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the job app!

    One ongoing problem I have in blogging is with the spelling of Jewish words! Most of them I have learned from hearing them and blogspot can't spell any of them, so I google them and get all sorts of opinions. Dr. Skull can't spell any of them either, since he (also) learned them from hearing them, not from writing or reading them (mostly).

    ReplyDelete